Friday, March 26, 2010

Thieves in the Temple

I've been shaking my head in amazement a lot over the past year, and I have been even more so in this week as I've heard and read people's reactions over this health bill.    I understand the concern about the expense . . .  except it's the first major government expenditure in the past ten years that actually has a budget and plan to pay for it.    And I can't take your criticisms about the expense of the bill all of that too seriously or consider it very sincere, unless you just as vehemently protested the expenses of the Bush tax cuts and the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.  

But the most surprising reaction has been from the evangelical Christians who make up the tea party crowd.   How Christian is it to deny healthcare to people who are sick?    For profit medicine, the healthcare model of our country, seems to me the best modern day example of thieves in the temple that we encounter in our society.   What I've found as I've dug deeper is that many people simply know nothing about the bill or what's in it, but that doesn't seem to stop the spewing of misinformation.  

But, enough from me on this.   Emily says it all much better here.

No comments:

Post a Comment